The need to provide environmental management on jobs is established not just in the applicable national and sector legislation but also in Environmental Impact Declarations issued as part of the process to authorise projects and actions.
In such cases, the Environmental Works Management (DAO) is the result of the decentralisation of the Project Management, and takes up responsibility for the monitoring and control of all the environmental aspects associated with the job. Its role is therefore key, and is highly relevant.
EUROCONTROL does these environmental management tasks as part of the project, providing a service with an integral focus and which ranges from work prior to the commencement of the project, environmental controls as the work is done, to environmental monitoring during the operation of the installations or infrastructures.
The Company has had broad experience in this field, and has developed DAO contracts and technical assistance to the DAO for bodies such as AENA, the Bilbao Bizkaia Water Consortium, Acuamed, ACUAES, the Galicia Regional Government, the Ministry of Development, etc.
As part of its quality policy, EUROCONTROL performs environmental management tasks on the work site through the so-called Supervision and Control Plan (PSC) and the procedures linked to it. This Plan structures the work and the functions for the environmental management of a project, making it a tool clearly designed to ensure that the demands raised by a client are met.
Before work starts, EUROCONTROL ensures that all the conditioning factors and provisions which must be adopted to ensure that it is performed correctly have been complied with, to these ends:
- Conducting an initial review of all the environmental aspects included in the Environmental Impact Study (EsIA) and the Environmental Impact Declaration (DIA).
- Reviewing the Environmental Surveillance Plan (PVA) and, in the absence of such a plan, drawing it up.
- Verifying that the project includes the environmental conditions demanded in the DIA.
- Analysing all the state, region and local provisions dealing with environmental aspects in the sector and applicable to the project, along with other binding reports from various bodies.
- Reviewing the Environmental Quality Assurance Plan drawn up by the contracting company, to ensure compliance with the environmental requisites which must be taken into account while this work is being done.
During the phase when the work is being done, EUROCONTROL:
- Periodically visits the work to track and monitor it, adapting the frequency of visits to the requirements of the DIA/Administration environmental resolutions, and to the reality of the work.
- Ensures that the measures provided for in the EsIA are being implemented correctly, and are adjusted to the environmental integration criteria put in place in the DIA.
- Verifies that the action taken is in compliance with the requisites established in the mandatory legislation in the sector.
- Checks the effectiveness of the protective and corrective measures established and implemented and, if considered unsatisfactory, determines the causes and establishes the appropriate remedies.
- Detects impacts not foreseen in the EsIA, defining the most adequate additional measures to reduce, eliminate or compensate them.
- Coordinates the archaeological monitoring work.
- Interprets and values the analyses performed: noise target trials, water and soil analyses, etc., and, if required by the client, completing the analyses and measurements created in the Administration’s resolutions.
- Draws up the environmental monitoring reports provided for in the DIA and the specialised reports required.
- Prepares the projects for the restoration of the zones affected by the work, including those where surplus materials from excavation are deposited.
- Advises the Work Management of any decision or change raised and which affects the environmental values of the area, pointing out any problems which might be caused and suggesting solutions to minimise possible impacts.
On completion of the work, EUROCONTROL takes over the monitoring of the environmental measures adopted in the project, such as planting, environmental restoration of areas degraded during the work, the presence of fauna, erosion processes, water quality, etc.
EUROCONTROL also completes the formalities required for the work such as authorisations for works in areas of the Hydraulic Public Domain or in the Zone for the Policing of Courses, authorisations to cut, prune or clear wooded areas, authorisations for any necessary archaeological tasks, legalisation of concrete, crushing or asphalt plants, environmental processing for new spoil or dumping, waste management plans, and any additional studies established in the DIAs or in the construction projects, such as environmental targets, detailed fauna studies, study of the sensitivity of buildings to noise and vibrations during the work, archaeological studies, studies of flora and fauna, etc.
The Company also undertakes to complete any formalities and steps required by the Administration for the authorisation of your installations: for clearance for installations where potentially air-pollutant actives (APCA) are to be pursued, integrated environmental authorisation (A.I.A), situation reports and preliminary soil reports, waste management plans, processing for waste product registration, waste management authorisation, etc.
EUROCONTROL has had wide experience in sampling design and “in situ” sampling, and in the preparation of the results of trials of all types of environmental parameters for Civil Engineering Work and industrial installations, and holds ENAC Accreditation pursuant to Standard UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17020 for environmental inspection, and UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025 for acoustic trials.